Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Lord's Work


Kaleb assured us he was 98% better today in the same sentence he asked to go to spend the day with his best friend, Toban.  He definitely got his groove back, so he was off and running (see photo).  He left behind one quiet house.

I didn’t have a big dinner to make tonight, but I do tomorrow night, so I braved a trip to the grocery store to get food before it was all gone.  The shelves empty out fairly quickly around here so the early bird, definitely gets the worm.  The mall we are attached to is the third largest mall in Norway so people come from far and wide to shop here – especially on days when school is out.  It was a mad house and made me more than claustrophobic.  I just grabbed the things I needed and headed back to the safely of my own little home.  Yikes.

Kory worked on a drawing, did a little repair job that took hours (the handle broke on the oven door) and then he called the travel insurance company to find out why we never got reimbursed for the extra expenses we had when he broke his back a year and a half ago.  I was expecting them to deny our claim because we aren’t Norwegian or something, but when he called, they said our money was sitting there – they just didn’t know where to send it.  Hallelujah!  When I filled out all the forms I used our American address, and not once did we get a letter from them in the mail, so I’m not sure what happened there, but he gave them our Norwegian bank number so hopefully they will transfer the money into it soon.  (No on in Norway writes checks – absolutely everything is done through electronic transfers.) I’m waiting to see just how much they will reimburse us for because I heard Norwegian insurance companies are terrible to deal with and find an excuse to pay out very little.  I hope I’m pleasantly surprised.

This afternoon Kory and I went to Agape church to help clean the building.  All the home fellowship groups volunteer to clean once every six months, and it just so happens that today was our group’s turn.  What a blessing it was to scrub toilets for the glory of God!  There were five of us, so the work was done in under two hours.  Kory vacuumed the whole sanctuary (see photo), I swept and washed the lobby floors, cleaned the bathrooms and washed the entry doors and windows.  Others cleaned the café, washed the stairs and cleaned all the Sunday School rooms.  It was nice to be part of the team that spiffed things up for Easter Sunday (see photo).

We picked Kaleb up on our way home and the three of us sat and ate dinner all by ourselves.  It felt a little strange with just the three of us here, since we’ve had so much company lately, but it was also kinda nice.  Kory made dinner (see photo) and there wasn’t a green thing on the plate, so he used green plates.  He made fish balls, and cauliflower soup and served leftover mashed potatoes and cooked cabbage (surkaal) from a box.  It was all WHITE!  I ate leftovers from last night.  I’m not a big fan of fish balls, but the soup was pretty good. 

Before dinner was even over, Andre called asking if Kaleb could have a sleepover tonight, so Kory drove him over there after we finished eating.  Then the house was quiet again.  At least we got one hour today with our boy today.

My friend, Bente, wanted me to meet a friend of hers, Marethe, who is in charge of Women’s Aglow for this area, so she brought her over tonight for coffee.  We had a good long chat (over 3 hours!) about the things of God and we also had some time for prayer.  Marethe asked if I would speak at the next Women’s Aglow meeting here in Aalesund.  I was happy to say yes, so now I’ll be in prayer about what God wants me to say.  Exciting stuff.   Today I was also invited back to speak on Christian radio anytime I want while we are here, so I need to ask God what to say (as if I ever have a problem in that area.)

We’ve been here two weeks today, and only have ten more to go.  I hate how time flies when I’m having fun. 


No comments: