Friday, March 27, 2009

Personal Responsbility

We had a small turnout in class today (Fridays are usually like that), so it allowed me to get some one-on-one tutoring, which I sorely needed. It’s not that anything clicked, but at least I didn’t leave the class feeling lost. That’s a good thing. Our teacher taught us two “new” words today, with a bit of a smirk on her face. We are learning compound words. Norway takes the cake on that one. It kills me that they have these little “phrases” that mean just one word in English – like “vær så snil” (be so nice) which means “please.” But then, for some reason, they combine words to make things like this: producksjonsarbeiderlønnsforhandlingsleder or massemediakunnskapsteroribokforfatter. They are both actually job titles but I’m not sure a business card would be wise for these people. The first one means the person is the supervisor over all the payroll personal for the production workers. The second one is an author of a textbook on mass media. Learning Norwegian is just so darn much fun. I’m glad it’s Friday.

It was another beautiful day today so during lunch I went for a walk up the street from my school. I passed the place of one of Aalesund’s greatest tragedies – one year ago yesterday – part of the hillside gave way and pushed an entire condo building 20 feet out into the street, collapsing the first two floors and killing five people who were asleep in their beds at the time. Today, there isn’t any sign that a building once stood on the spot. Five red roses were tucked into the fence that blocked off the lot. There were also hand written notes and pictures from a nearby preschool that said, “We remember.” It brought me to tears. The hillside there continues to crumble as freshly fallen rock littered the ground. Unbelievably tragic, but good to help me with my perspective. I only THINK I have troubles.

Kory finally signed an agreement today with the Aalesund Kommume. We can live here until July 1st – so Hallelujah. They asked us to pay about $325 a month in rent, which is next to nothing for this place. It could easily cost $2,000 a month, so we were happy to get it so cheap. We don’t even have to keep the grass cut so I’m thankful for that. We are on the down-slide now and the end is near. Sniff sniff.

Kaleb went home from school with his buddy Andreas. He played up in his neighborhood all afternoon and then rode his bike home – about two miles. It’s weird to have him so far from home and on his own, but it’s also nice not to have to worry about him. Life here is so different - different mind-set, values, everything. The adults let the kids have a lot of personal responsibility. The school where I attend has a private children’s school using the first two floors of our building. I’m always weaving in and out of children playing on the grounds. There is a huge rock cliff behind the school and I nearly choke every time I see all these little kids at least 30 feet up that cliff, playing on the tiny rock ledges. The hillside leans back a little, so they all brace themselves by leaning back into the rock, but really, one slip and they would be dead (see photo – they go all the way to the top!). It’s just part of life here that there are dangerous conditions and they learn to live with it. Cousin Turid calls it “survival of the fittest” because if they do something dumb – they are dead. But sometimes it’s hard to get over my American mindset where I think someone else is responsible for my safety. The harbor I used to walk along everyday is just a big sidewalk right along the water with no edge whatsoever. One step in the wrong direction, and I’d be “in the drink,” as it were. Since there are no lawsuits here, and since all medical expenses are covered by the government, I guess they figure people can afford to get hurt in order to learn a lesson. Maybe it’s all part of why Norwegians are such great explorers and accomplish so many “firsts” – they are used to danger. Who knows.

We had Family Game Night tonight and Tobias came over to play Aggravation. Kaleb is getting the sniffles so we ended early so he can get a good sleep. Kaleb cracked me up this morning when I told him I had a dream last night that he wanted us to adopt a boy his age so he would have someone to play with. He said, “Why would I want that? I would much prefer a dog. They will play with you when you want, be content to just sit next to you when you want to read - and of course - there is no disagreement on what to do.” I like his logic, but I’m still not getting a dog.

No comments: