Kory’s day wasn’t very eventful. The worst he had to deal with was a messy kitchen and a dead battery on the car (it was my fault.) I would have much rather stayed home and cleaned the kitchen than gone to school and learned even more insane grammatical rules. And now that the results of our latest tests are in, The Good Teacher Inga went over a few things with us in our Norsk class. Obviously I wasn’t the only one who missed some of the basic concepts being taught –so today we did a little review before moving forward. I think we need to review things a bit more often, but then, I’m the oldest one in the class and we all know what that means. I’ve had many more years of brain cells dying off than the rest of them. Plus, I swear the reason Kaleb is so smart is because he sucked the brains right out of me. For some reason, once I gave birth, I got stupid. It was a noticeable difference and I guess it’s something that a lot of mother’s experience. When Kaleb was first born I was so tired of not remembering basic things and not being able to figure out simple stuff that I asked my girlfriend who had school age children at the time, just how long this mindless state lasts and when it was exactly that her brains returned after giving birth. She told me she was still waiting -- so that answered that question. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised I’m having a hard time learning Norwegian. And we had quite the discussion in class today about the fact that all our Norwegian husbands are worthless when it comes to helping us with our grammar. Each and every native Norwegian husband has told their spouse, “I was never very good at grammar,” which got a big laugh from all of us. We all feel the same way but we aren’t natives. I’ve even asked the few women friend’s I’ve made here about some of the crazy rules they have for grammar and I got the same answer “I was never very good at grammar.” How someone can become a teacher of Norwegian grammar is beyond me. I guess it’s a job reserved for the select few who actually understood it all.
Kaleb came home with a note from his teacher today. It should have been titled, “The Morten Report,” as it said, “I’m sorry to tell you that there has been an episode where Morten has really kicked Kaleb today. We have kept Kaleb here now (away from Morten), and it’s getting better and we have taken a serious talk with Morten. We will call his home and go further with the case. I’m truly sorry this happened. Have a nice day, Ragnhild.” Okay then. I’m sure glad they are finally having a “serious” talk with Morten because we know so well all the other “talks” they’ve had with him haven’t done a thing.
From Kaleb’s retelling of the story, he saw Morten on the playground pounding on one of his good friends. He ran over to rescue Håvard (I love that about him) and got Morten to turn his attention away from Håvard onto him so Håvard could run away. Morten kicked Kaleb something good then went running after Håvard again. Morten cornered Håvard by the school building and proceeded to smash his head into a window. Kaleb was astonished the window didn’t break. Håvard fell in a heap of tears as the playground supervisor grabbed Morten by the collar and hauled him off to the principal’s office for that “serious” talking to. Then as Kaleb was leaving for the day, Morten snuck up behind him, kicked him in the thigh and when Kaleb turned around, Morten stuck his fingers into Kaleb’s mouth and pulled on it so hard it split his lip. Kaleb was sure he swallowed a pint of blood after that. I’m sure it wasn’t even a tablespoon but the teacher did have to get a wet cloth to apply pressure and stop the bleeding. So he came home a wounded soldier today and I told him if he were at war he’d be awarded the Purple Heart. He thinks he might need “a room the size of Canada” to hold all such awards before the year is out. So that was Kaleb’s day. This wasn’t exactly what I had in mind when we moved here to socialize him, but God promises to work “all things together for good,” so we are waiting for the good to surface. Uff da.
Kaleb came home with a note from his teacher today. It should have been titled, “The Morten Report,” as it said, “I’m sorry to tell you that there has been an episode where Morten has really kicked Kaleb today. We have kept Kaleb here now (away from Morten), and it’s getting better and we have taken a serious talk with Morten. We will call his home and go further with the case. I’m truly sorry this happened. Have a nice day, Ragnhild.” Okay then. I’m sure glad they are finally having a “serious” talk with Morten because we know so well all the other “talks” they’ve had with him haven’t done a thing.
From Kaleb’s retelling of the story, he saw Morten on the playground pounding on one of his good friends. He ran over to rescue Håvard (I love that about him) and got Morten to turn his attention away from Håvard onto him so Håvard could run away. Morten kicked Kaleb something good then went running after Håvard again. Morten cornered Håvard by the school building and proceeded to smash his head into a window. Kaleb was astonished the window didn’t break. Håvard fell in a heap of tears as the playground supervisor grabbed Morten by the collar and hauled him off to the principal’s office for that “serious” talking to. Then as Kaleb was leaving for the day, Morten snuck up behind him, kicked him in the thigh and when Kaleb turned around, Morten stuck his fingers into Kaleb’s mouth and pulled on it so hard it split his lip. Kaleb was sure he swallowed a pint of blood after that. I’m sure it wasn’t even a tablespoon but the teacher did have to get a wet cloth to apply pressure and stop the bleeding. So he came home a wounded soldier today and I told him if he were at war he’d be awarded the Purple Heart. He thinks he might need “a room the size of Canada” to hold all such awards before the year is out. So that was Kaleb’s day. This wasn’t exactly what I had in mind when we moved here to socialize him, but God promises to work “all things together for good,” so we are waiting for the good to surface. Uff da.

No comments:
Post a Comment